Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chickpea, Garlic and Spinach Soup



Meatless Wednesday. I have been wanting to make something with the cans of chickpeas in the pantry so tonight I made a soup. I have to admit I was not sure how this was going to play out but I am very pleasantly surprised.

1 can of chickpeas, drained
1 med onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 T olive oil
2 t cumin
2 t coriander
1 carton of good Vegetable broth
2 med potatoes 1/2 inch dice (I used yukon golds and did not peel them)
3 cups chopped fresh spinach
1/2 to 3/4 c cream
pinch of cayenne, salt and pepper

I sauteed the onion and garlic till fragrant. Dumped in the spices and toasted them a bit then added the potatoes, beans and broth. Brought to a boil and simmered till the potatoes were tender.

I gave it a quick buzz with the hand held blender but left it pretty chunky. Added the spinach and heated till wilted then added the cream. Check the seasoning.

Great stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...